Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The heart shaped leaf


The smell is that of eucalyptus.

Its somber fragrance reminds me of

my aunts house in the woods, when I was young.

But it is not the long shiny leaf I know well.

Its shape makes me think it’s a strange trick of nature.


The shape is that of a heart.

With cloudy sage green leaves.

It’s variegations exposing its geometry.

The equal and parted ways.


But what is before my eyes is simple.

A small comfort when the days are long.

A still life set upon my shelf.

For me to gaze at in winter months.


And there, within my dreamlike artist head,

I cut a million small valentines.

Like I did as a child.

A shape folded in half

and opened up to reveal the whole.


Week 7. Symmetry

OK, so I had to go there didn’t I? Yes, everywhere you look there are signs of Valentines Day fast approaching. I found a bunch of beautifully simple shaped leaves at Whole foods the other day. When I got them home, I began to see how the leaf shape was reminiscent to that of a heart. I’ve always loved how leaves have a clear division down the middle, separating the two sides, the same way a heart does. So many things in nature have this; it’s basic biology I guess. It struck me though, in a symbolic way love is like this too. There is an organic symmetry of two sides that mirror each other, like two people. Together they form something so splendid and complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment